The CFAR Malignancies Scientific Focus Group (SFG), led by Drs. Douglas Richman, Dennis Carson and Erin Reid, held its first meeting on January 14, 2013. This is the second of six CFAR SFGs to be initiated in 2013, and its focus is on new areas of collaboration between CFAR, Cancer Center, and AMC members in HIV-related malignancy research in both national and international settings.
During the meeting, results of two CFAR-NCI pilot grants were presented, and the following topics were discussed:
- Promising and emerging areas of HIV-related malignancies research;
- Collaborative opportunities among the wealth of talent across our CFAR members and programs;
- Resources (prioritization of developmental grants, Core services, etc.) that would help to move efforts in this area forward;
- Recommendations for outside investigators to invite for a day of discussion and a seminar; and
- Other initiatives and investments the CFAR could provide to facilitate research initiatives in this area.
We hope to have wide participation across all of the CFAR member institutions (UCSD, The Scripps Research Institute, the Salk Institute and La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology), as well as investigators from throughout the San Diego HIV research community.
Please contact us if you have suggestions or questions or if we can provide any more information about this exciting new initiative.