The ImmunityScientific Focus Group (SFG) was the first of six such groups to be initiated within our CFAR in 2013. The emphasis of this group is on innate and acquired immunity, and the group is led by Drs. Dennis Burton and John Young.
We hope to have wide participation across all of the CFAR member institutions (UCSD, The Scripps Research Institute, the Salk Institute and La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology).
During the second meeting held on April 15, 2013, Drs. Poignard discussed research in broadly neutralizing antibodies, and Dr. John Guatelli described research in HIV-1 accessory proteins Vpu and Nef.
Following the scientific presentations, Drs. Burton and Young invited participants to consider the following items for future discussion:
- Promising and emerging areas of immunity research;
- Collaborative opportunities among the wealth of talent across our CFAR members and programs;
- Resources (prioritization of developmental grants, Core services, etc.) that can help to move efforts forward in this area;
- Recommendations on outside investigators to invite for a day of discussion and a seminar; and
- Other initiatives and investments the CFAR can provide to facilitate research initiatives in this area.
The next meeting will be scheduled in summer 2013.
Please contact us if you have suggestions or questions, or if we can provide additional information about this exciting new initiative.